Pages

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Arts/Cultural Blog Post #5: In the Red and Brown Water

In the play, Oya is a young runner who gives up her dreams of being an athlete and going to college in order to tend to her dying mother. Eventually, Oya's mother passes away and Oya falls in love with Shango, who eventually leaves her as he becomes a soldier. While Shango is away, a man named Ogun steps in and attempts to win over Oya's heart, but it never happens as Oya waits for Shango to return to her.

It really struck me that Oya gave up so much but received so little in return. She gave up her dreams to be with her mother who would end up leaving her. Then she falls for a man who leaves and never truly comes back. It seems like she sacrificed so much and had much more at stake than any other character. Unfortunately, Oya never achieved what she had hoped for.

I was definitely most compelled by Oya in this performance. She really was the focal point of the play and I was saddened by her story. I really felt bad for her character as the story went along.

I don't have any major critiques of the performance as I'm not really a big theater guy. I found it a little hard to follow at times, but it was not too bad. If you're the kind of person that's into plays, I'd advise you to see it.

This was not my first time seeing a live theatre performance. I've seen a few different plays in my hometown. The play pretty much lived up to my expectations of what it should be. This performance was not the best one I've ever seen, but it certainly was not the worst.

No comments:

Post a Comment