Pages

Thursday, December 13, 2012

Arts/Cultural Blog Post #8: Album of the Year


The name Kendrick Lamar sounded extremely familiar to me. I've seen it on TV, on Twitter, on Facebook... everywhere. I knew who the man was, but I never listened to his music. That all changed when the album, "good kid, m.A.A.d city," was released on October 22, 2012. On this date, I officially became a Kendrick Lamar fan.

It's not even a question to me that this is the album of 2012, especially for the hip-hop genre. In what is considered to be a dying field of music, Kendrick has put life back into it, giving us arguably our best artist since a young Kanye West came onto the scene. In the album, Kendrick displays a unique ability to tell stories in a song. The album is about his rough upbringing in the gang laden town of Compton, CA. It hits all the emotions, as different tracks make you laugh, make you cry, and make you fearful. It is truly a work of art and has thrust Kendrick Lamar onto the pedestal of being hip-hop's new golden child.

My favorite track on this album has to be "Poetic Justice" featuring rap sensation Drake. Using the sample of Janet Jackson's song "Anytime, Anyplace," Kendrick and Drake turn this mellow beat into a soothing hit. MTV has called this song "flawless," and it is easily the highlight of the album. It's moving, especially my favorite line, "I can never right my wrongs, unless I write them down for real."

If you're into the hip-hop genre and haven't had a chance yet, please check out "good kid, m.A.A.d. city" and you won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment